Monday 3 March 2014

Review: Waterfell (The Aquarathi #1) by Amalie Howard

Synopsis
The girl who would be queen

17397760Nerissa Marin hides among teens in her human form, waiting for the day she can claim her birthright - the undersea kingdom stolen from her the day her father was murdered. Blending in is her best weapon - until her father's betrayer confronts Nerissa and challenges her to a battle to the death on Nerissa's upcoming birthday - the day she comes of age. 

Amid danger and the heartbreak of her missing mother, falling for a human boy is the last thing Nerissa should do. But Lo Seavon breaches her defenses and somehow becomes the only person she can count on to help her desperate search for her mother, a prisoner of Nerissa's mortal enemy. Is Lo the linchpin that might win Nerissa back her crown? Or will this mortal boy become the weakness that destroys her? 

- Goodreads -

Opinion
 When I heard that the book was about mermaids I thought it was going to be something like The Little Mermaid: half human, half fish people. But that wasn’t the case at all. I loved how Howard created an whole new species of mermaids since they were actually an alien species and I can assure you that they look nothing like Ariel in their true form. The race and structure of their world was well described. And there were many twist and turns but many of them were very predictable and I could smell them from miles away. This book held only very few surprises for me and that’s why I’m a bit disappointed with this book.
I liked most of the characters, the only one I got some problems with was the lead character Nerissa. I just couldn’t connect to her and I got a whiplash from her mood swings. One moment she’s hot and the next she was cold. And she’s upset when she finds out that someone lied to her but basically that is all she does herself. Lying about what she feels, who she is, what she wants. 

But at the same time I rather enjoyed the story since it was easy to read and I loved reading about Waterfell, the kingdom of the mermaids. And I liked the ending of the book, since Nerissa finally took up her responsibilities. I will be giving the second book in this series a shot and I hope that I’ll like it more than the this one. But all in all not a bad book and I can see why other people might like this book a lot more than I did. 


Extra 
Title: Waterfell
Author: Amalie Howard
Series: The Aquarathi
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Publication date: October 29th 2013
Pages: 350 (paperback) 
Other books: 


El


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!