Thursday 29 January 2015

Review: Edge of End by Suren Hakobyan

23434427
Title: Edge of End 

Author: Suren Hakobyan
Genre: Fantasy, Adult
Publication date: November 8th 2014
Pages: 262 (ebook) 
Source: received from author








Jonathan wakes up in a desert, his past wiped from his head. He's alone having no clue who and what he is, where he has come from and where he should go. There is only one way - forward when he spots a little town in the distance. 

Empty streets, old houses, the town seems abandoned. There's no one to ask for help, there's nowhere to go. Jonathan wanders the town in search of any sign of life trying to bring his lost memories back, but odd visions haunt him from time to time. Soon Jonathan come to the realization that he's moments from death as absolutely evil dwells in the town seeking fresh souls. The seemingly dead town is only outwardly empty.

Grey skies, no sun, no days and no nights. The town is stuck in time. With only one entrance and one exit, but the way leading to the exit is filled with creations that Jonathan has never envisioned, even in his worst nightmares.

Who is he? Who brought him here? With a female resident - Elizabeth, Jonathan has to work his way through the horrendous town, figure out his part and find the exit.


When I read the synopsis of this book I was very intrigued. A mysterious town with only one way out. A guy with one foot already in the grave but with the other still in the living world. So I was happy to pick it up.

Unfortunately the book disappointed me quite a bit. It had a lot of potential to be a good book. It had a very good and interesting concept. But it wasn’t executed that well. You could easily divide the book in two parts. In the first part Jonathan tries to figure out where he is and what the town is. In the second part he tries to escape the town. And often things just were too slow for me. And then when there was some action everything got over too quickly. Jonathan could easily defeat all his opponents. I get that he did have some superhuman powers but so had his opponents. And often the numbers weren’t in his favor. Still he got away without a scratch.     

And then there was Elizabeth. She was a perfect example of a damsel in distress. She could do nothing by herself and needed to be saved by Jonathan every five seconds. I really couldn’t relate with her and I was often annoyed with her. She really should learn how to defend herself and stand up for herself. Also the connection between Elizabeth and Jonathan didn’t feel real to me. They didn’t know each other at all. Their connection was solely based on looks.

It was also clear that English isn’t the author’s first language. There were a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes. English isn’t my first language either and even I could find quite a lot of mistakes. So I’m sure that other readers will have found even more mistakes than I did. That being said I think that it was still pretty good for someone whose first language isn’t English. And I’m sure that you guys have to put up with quite a few mistakes in my reviews as well.

I still gave this book two stars because it wasn’t that bad. And it there is potential in this book. Besides I was still interested in knowing what would happen to the characters in the end. And it had a beautiful message of friendship and redemption that cannot be ignored. 


El


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!