Saturday 29 November 2014

Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

17899904Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent
Genre: Dystopian, YA
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication date: October 22nd 2013
Pages: 526 (paperback)
Source: borrowed from a friend






The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered - fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's know, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature - and of herself - while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

Goodreads

Before I had read Allegiant I couldn’t understand why people rated this book so low but now I can. Don’t get me wrong personally I still liked this book, a lot. But I can get why people were frustrated and disappointed by it.

Allegiant begins sometime after Insurgent had finished, it could be a couple of days or a couple of weeks. There is no telling how long it has been since the events in Insurgent took place. At first the book was really great. Everything was as good as circumstances allowed it, I got answers to so many questions I had since I had finished Insurgent. And enough things happened to keep the book interesting. But in the middle of the book I got really frustrated by Four/Tobias, I get why he was upset and why he acted the way he did but still I expected more from him. After all he’s the guy with only four fears, the guy who always keeps calm, he’s the reasonable one. And now he made dumb decision after dumb decision. Tris had her problems in the previous book and now Four in this one, they each get their turn I guess. But I moved past the frustrating part, which luckily didn’t last too long. End then there was the ending. I guess that this is the part were a lot of people are really frustrated about. But it didn’t bother me that much. It made me really sad and yes I would have loved it if the book had a different ending. But I have accepted it and it was a solid ending so I’m not complaining about it.

Four and Tris start off in a rocky place in their relationship. Tris lied a lot to him and she hid the truth of some things deliberately from him. So he got some trust issues when it comes to her. But they learn to voice their frustrations about one another. They learn how to really communicate with each other. So they find themselves on a more stable ground again. Another thing I really loved about this book was that all the characters came to terms with themselves and with what had happened to them earlier. You could say that they all found closure in the end in their own unique way.

There is one last thing that I want to discuss. Never before had we had a chapter in Tobias point of view and now in Allegiant, Tobias had a lot of chapters in his own point of view. At first it confused me a lot since I wasn’t used to it and now I had to keep track on whose point of view it was. And most of the time I didn’t think it was necessary, certainly at the beginning of the book. Still I understand why the author did it and if you have read the book than you know that it was definitely necessary that Tobias had his own point of view at the end of the book.


Overall I really liked Allegiant. I loved this whole series, it was well written and it brought up so many emotions. I will have a hard time to let this series go and I’m sure that I will reread it in time. If you haven’t read this series yet then you really should do so soon! 


El


1 comment:

I love reading your comments!