Thursday 19 March 2015

Review: Owlet (Society of Feathers #1) by Emma Michaels

23797015Title: Owlet
Author: Emma Michaels
Series: Society of Feathers
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing
Publication date: September 17th 2014
Pages: 206 (Kindle)
Source: Netgalley








Somewhere between falling and flying... there is a girl.

Iris has a secret. She lost her memory eight years ago and never told a living soul. After an asthma attack one night she finds out that her dreams of a strange house on a snowy island may be a memory resurfacing but the more she learns about the past the more she realizes the life she has been living is a lie. As the façade her father has built starts to crumble around her she will have to decide which means more to her; the truth or her life.


Owlet was hard for me to review and rate. It had everything to be an amazing book: secrets, lies, betrayal, love… But unfortunately the author didn’t use all these elements to the fullest.
It took me a lot of time before I figured out what the book was really about. I know that the author tried to bring the history of the Stryx in a new and interesting way but it just didn’t work for me. 

Most of the time I felt lost. I didn’t understand what was going on and I barely understood the history of the Stryx. I had so many questions while reading this book but barely any of them were answered by the end of the book. If anything I had even more questions than before. Besides every time the characters were about to reveal something they were interrupted by something or someone. It can happen once or twice but if it happens every single time it gets really annoying.

Since this book was relatively short I didn’t really have a connection with the characters. I felt like they were underdeveloped. Of course this may change in the next books in this series. But I like it better if they show some development in the first book and when I connect with them immediately.


To be honest I don’t think that I would have finished this book if had been longer then it was now. And I’m not interested to find out how this story will continue in its sequel. 


El

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!